March 1, 2013

Rings of Saturn - Dingir (2013)


Finally, this sickening winter is gone and I can look forward to some warm, sunny days. I know it's not trve and br00tal to like sunny days, but I don't care. I fucking hate gloomy days, I hate rain and I hate cold winds. I for one welcome spring time. 

And what better way to celebrate the rebirth of nature than with some INSANE technical deathcore about hostile alien forces ripping humans apart with their devastating death rays? Californian aliencore pioneers Rings of Saturn are back with their second full-length album called Dingir, which was actually available for streaming since November of last year due to a regrettable leak of a pre-production version. So I've listened to this almost three months ago, but I thought I'd wait until the actual official release to post about it. 

Dingir is another display of dazzling axe mastery, as the guitarists once again take center stage and showcase their impeccable use of their tentacle fingers. There's fucktons of shredding, sweep-picking and crazy arpeggios flying off in every direction, so anyone who's not into nintendocore guitar noodling will probably hate this. There are some melodic parts sprinkled throughout, but the band focuses first and foremost on delivering the CRUSHING BRUTALITY deathcore kids enjoy. New vocalist Ian Bearer is rather spectacular, as his dual high/low growling vocals are extremely fitting with the alien genocide theme of the album. The rhythm section doesn't lag behind the guitars and manages to keep up with all the insanity that's going on. As awe-inspiring and jaw-dropping the technical prowess of these dudes is, the album does tend to become a bit stale after some listening. It is definitely more well fleshed out and structured than their previous effort, Embryonic Anomaly, but it requires the listener to be patient and to pay attention. And to hold on for dear life.

Rings of Saturn is certainly not everyone's cup of tea. In fact, I'm pretty sure all of my friends hate this band. :( Still, I think it's worth giving them a listen, if only to have your brain melted by all the horrifically-complex guitar parts. Listeners who take their time with Dingir will sometimes be rewarded with melodic bits, but 99% of this is screaming, blastbeats, heavy riffing and breakdowns. And I don't have a problem with it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment