March 15, 2013

Justin Timberlake - The 20/20 Experience (2013)



It's hard to be original nowadays, especially when you have a successful career behind you. How do you release something that fans (and radios) will love AND succeed at being original? I'm not going to shy away from admitting this - Justin Timberlake is fucking awesome at this.

While inhabiting the world of robotic pop tunes for most of his career, JT managed to distance himself from the crowd and constantly release interesting material. In 2006, FutureSex/LoveSounds smashed the disco world (literally), creating plenty of memorable tunes that you might hum even nowadays. A notable one would be LoveStoned/I Think She Knows, a 7 minute and a half long jam that constantly evolves, changes, modifies its structure, absorbing you into Justin's sexy, badass world.

This is essential, because LoveStoned basically shaped the entire 20/20 Experience album. Why am I saying this? Well, basically Justin fucked the entire pop music scene and actually said "If Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin can do 10-minute songs and Queen can do 10-minute songs then why can't we?". And then he made this masterpiece.

From the moment I heard the first single, Suit & Tie, I loved it. I think everyone knows it by now. It just hit me in the head - it was perfect. Playing alongside Sly, Slick & Wicked, a soul/R&B group, JT encapsulated the Motown Sound into a delicious anthem. I'm not even going to describe this song, you have to hear it. Just look at this amazing live act:


 So this album manages to encompass plenty of deliciousness into its one hour and something playtime, remaining enchanting throughout every song. The album flows smoothly, just like a river you can't wait to skinny dip into. Fluidity is its main trait, and I have to compliment Justin for accomplishing such a thing. This is definitely his best album up to date, and I just can't wait to hear more. Sexay!

No comments:

Post a Comment