March 25, 2013

Occultation "Three & Seven" LP (2012)


A bunch of time ago, my brother told me about some eerie compilation called "All Hallowed Hymns", with some creepy-ass music on it, ranging from atmospheric stuff to horrorpunk covered by death metal bands. Cool shit, but one song caught my eye/ears, and that was Occultation's "All Hallows Fire", an amazing, horror-inspired, 70s halloween type of song. The stuff of my dreams.

After recently reading in Chips & Beer 3#  that the female-fronted NY band had released an album last year, I was pretty stoked. But, to my utter dissapointment, it was all for nothing. You see, children, this album is soooo boooooriiiiingg. It has about 7 tracks on it, all a tad bit too long, but that's not the problem, the problem is that the band's essence, the thing that made it stand out from that compilation for me, their echoed guitar riffs and cheesy organ pianos, are played over and over again for about 40 minutes, and after the first song it gets incredibly dull. Every riff and harmony just seems like the same, even the choruses have nothing special individually.

The vocals are kinda cool, basic occult rock feminine vocals, nothing special, but that doesn't make this album less uninteresting. I really hoped to like this album, maybe even own it on vinyl, but it was not meant to be, because this album is so boring that basically my Blood Freak CD just melted. This album is also so boring that I had to listen do Judas Priest's "Painkiller" TWICE afterwards to bring ballance to the world.

Next time I make my own music, with blackjack and hookers.

No comments:

Post a Comment