March 28, 2014

The Milton Incident - Innocence Lost (2014)



Attention, TZEEEAC minions! How are you today? I hope you're fine. Are you ready for some sweet French alternative metal? You'd better fucking be, because I've skipped college today to write this.

The Milton Incident is a dark alternative metal band hailing from France. I'm so glad they've chosen to sing in English, because I've been skimming through the French underground scene for a while now (mostly for hip-hop bands) in hopes of finding some content for TZEEEAC. Since most of them sang in French and the only phrase I know in French is ''I can't speak French, it's too complicated'', I have refrained myself from writing anything about said acts. Fortunately, I can offer The Milton Incident the coverage it deserves. 

Every song on Innocence Lost is a pile of heavy riffs, energetic drumming and groovy rhythms. The albums starts full-force with Deadset, a crushing riff-heavy monster of a track which will blast your speakers into oblivion. The next track, Torn Down, follows the exact same formula, only that it's a bit more engaging. Things start getting really interesting when Deus Ex Machina enters the rotation with its catchy chorus and the superb vocal delivery, which alternates between straight up clean and demonic fits of rage in a matter of nanoseconds (as is the case with the majority of the songs on this album). I don't know what preparations Sam does prior to singing (he's probably a robot), but I can't even imagine how exhausted he must feel after every live performance. This is not to say that I believe that the rest of the rascals are slacking off, smoking weed and watching MTV while the frontman is spiting his lungs out - the drumming, guitar (as mentioned before) and bass work are as equally engaging as Sam's vocals.

Although the album slows down a bit after the fifth track, it never loses momentum; the overwhelming avalanche of heaviness is now replaced with slower, more melodic sounds in combination with short bursts of violent rhythms. It tricks you into believing that it's a straightforward alternative-metal album, then it throws a bunch of different influences into your face and runs away laughing maniacally, like that stupid kid from kindergarten that always destroyed my beautiful cube castles and who I totally beat the shit out of afterwards and not run away crying into my mom's caring arms--- it's really good that they've decided to experiment, is what I'm trying to say. You might think that they're similar to Papa Roach and Avenged Sevenfold, but my spider sense has also detected some hints of Tool when it comes to the overall structure and song progression.

Which is always good, because they haven't released anything in fucking ages.



No comments:

Post a Comment