February 24, 2014

A TZEEEAC INTERVIEW: Satan's Satyrs

Daniel is one talented motherfucker.


Bow before the kings of scuzz rock! Virginia’s Satan’s Satyrs are here to informally deliver the word of doom about their latest out-of-control doom punk soufle. Multi-instrumentalist Claythanas here, dropping the mic on us. Greetings, dear one, ‘tis we!


1. What are the tunes spinning in Satan's Satyrs dungeon lately? Any recent bands shedding some influence on your sound? Do you prefer “Dopethrone”-era or “Black Masses”-era Electric Wizard? 

We've been playing "Vol. 4," "Outsideinside," some Curved Air, the first B.Ö.C., the first UFO. Icecross is a band we've all been digging lately. 

I actually like all the Wizard records. I think that if you listen to one era, but not another you're missing out. Every record has it's own sound and they each serve a purpose in the grand scheme of their discography. I will say that "The Chosen Few" is probably my favorite Wizard track ever.

2. Tell us how you obtain that inimitable fat Satan’s Satyrs sound. Home taping?

By accident, really. I don't even know how I got that sound. But yeah, when I recorded "Wild.." it was at my home. I didn't have a clue. I just recorded everything in the red. It's the only way I know.

3. Describe the forthcoming album with a grindhouse movie title and tag line.

Die Screaming, "You're gonna die with a curse on your tongue and a scream in your lungs..."


4. Does primitive music require primitive lyrics? When penning down the lyrics, do you just shave them from the top of your head or do you require some nice ingredients to "get into the mood"?

I don't know. I take great care when writing my lyrics. It can be a long, difficult process, lasting weeks, months. Sometimes all the words fall right into place, but more often than not I start with one line or a title and just let that brew for a bit while the rest of the song develops. I usually write the music first so I can have the words fit well with the groove of the song.

5. What new and strange apparitions to the music scene do you recommend checking out? Recommend us some lesser known tunes for our sanity.

I can't say that I've been listening to many new bands lately. The only record I can think of off the top of my head was the Purson record. It's so easy to be disappointed by all the new shit out there these days that I usually don't even bother checking anything out.

6. What is the best that has happened to SS? What about the worst? Any fond or less fortunate memories that you want to share? 

The best thing that has happened to this band so far was playing Roadburn 2013. It was a great step forward for the band and me personally in a number of ways. I can't think of a "worst" moment. It hasn't been "easy street" for us, but we've made it this far alright.


7. What kind of events would you rather attend and/or play? Big festivals or club/basement shows?

Firstly, I wouldn't place basement and club shows in the same category. They're totally separate experiences. I think, perhaps especially so in America, there is a certain fondness for basement and D.I.Y. shows, the idea being that those types of venues provide a sort of intimate experience one might not find at an established venue, like a bar or club. I personally don't have such a romantic view on D.I.Y. shows. They can be good and they can be bad. I usually would prefer a club to a basement because that would generally provide more exposure for the band, which is what I'm all about. On that note, I enjoy playing festivals for the same reason. Festivals can be a great opportunity to introduce the band to a wider audience and allow people to hear you who might not have come across your music in any other circumstance. Plus, playing to large festival audiences can be quite exhilarating. We've played every sort of show, from basements to festivals, but I am glad that stayed small and worked our way up. Bands should cut their teeth on the road, touring through clubs. It gives them drive and experience. You can't gain that by suddenly being thrust into headline festival positions. 

8. Any opinions on the evolution and the feedback your band has received since its unholy conception? Do you consider yourselves to have attained the so called "cult status"? Any advice for any young enthusiasts picking up their instruments and letting it rip?

I'm very pleased with the notoriety we've developed over the years, but I'm not satisfied yet. I try not think about our "status" or whether or not there is a cap on our success. I try to keep that out of mind and aim to make Satan's Satyrs as big as it can get. In that vein, I don't think I have advice for anyone. 

9. How did you book your first gigs? What about your last ones? 

In the early days, I didn't care too much about doing gigs so I didn't exactly seek them out. But people starting coming to us so we gave it a shot. That was back in the beginning, it's picked up since then. In the past couple years we've been touring the states with the odd international festival here and there. Now we've got a booking agent in Europe so we'll definitely be playing all around the continent in 2014. It's about time we did a full European tour.


10. Electric Wizard’s Jus Osborn stated about Satan's Satyrs: "They truly understand the spiritual importance of exploitation movies and horror culture (not just ripping it off)". A statement we can absolutely get behind. Everybody has memories of their first horror film, the first time they laid hands on one of 'em naughty horror pulp comics and some of these memories develop into further artistical journeys. Tell us about your experience of this inherent horror culture.

I started with the Hammer Dracula films when I was around 13. Those are still some of my all-time favorites. I was into the classic Gothic horror vibe, vampires and spooky castles and the like, but when I saw "Dracula AD 1972" I got into the 60's/70's vibes, films that had a contemporary flavor to them. From there I started picking up whatever I could find. Some of my early favorites were "Suspiria," "Mark of the Devil," "Brotherhood of Satan," "Werewolves on Wheels." I've always been a sucker for cinematic depictions of a black mass or any sort of devilry and that era was perfect for that. 

11. Any chance of you guys hitting the road for Eastern Europe someday? There are some vampire castles and gangs of spell casting gypsies to behold.

It would definitely be cool to a bring the band to Eastern European. I hear it's still pretty wild out there in some parts. Lots of wolves and vast mysterious forests. We'd do well to play a gig in an old Carpathian castle.

12. I leave to you the final words for the myrmidons out there.

The new album is coming very soon! Get it from Bad Omen Records in UK/Europe and Trash King Productions in the US. DIE SCREAMING!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment