June 6, 2012

Recent Shit #5: Sounds of Terror and Despair

Both Marco and I are super busy with school-related business these days, and will likely remain busy until the next month or so, which means posts will be few and far between. Sometimes life just kinda creeps up on you and there's nothing you can do except clench your teeth and do what needs to be done. In my case, my bachelor thesis, which isn't the worst thing that's ever happened to me, but it's certainly eating up precious time I could have otherwise used to watch movies and read books. Thankfully, sitting at my computer all day working on this thing affords me plenty of time to listen to music. Sadly, I mostly listen to deadmau5 and Burial while working since other stuff tends to distract me. However, I did manage to listen to some death metal too, and I'm cramming everything into one post, mostly so I can have an excuse to not write much about it.

I'm sorry for everything.

Fleshgod Apocalypse - Oracles (2009)




I've seen this album recommended left and right on the interwebs and I finally got around to listen to it. Fleshgod Apocalypse's newest album was basically unlistenable, but their debut Oracles has made a much better impression on me. What you have here is highly technical brutal death metal interspersed with beautiful classical music. Unusual combo, right? What's more unusual is that it works. Somehow, shifting from a serene classical piano piece to a sky cracking death metal tornado feels pretty damn good. Highly recommended. 

Cemetery Urn - Urn of Blood (2007)


Murky, blood-soaked death metal from the pits of Australia. It doesn't reinvent the wheel, but it does a good job bashing your skull in with it. 

Hour of Penance - The Vile Conception (2008)


Italy's Hour of Penance deliver highly proficient technical death metal in the vein of Nile, Spawn of Possession and Fleshgod Apocalypse. No peaceful moments here, though, The Vile Conception is a blazing whirlwind of intricate riffs and rapid-fire drumming. Have at it!

Veil of Maya - The Common Man's Collapse (2008) 


I really liked Veil of Maya's new album, Eclipse, so I figured I'd check out some of their earlier works. Sure enough, they deliver the same polished djent/deathcore sound with dual vocal attacks and percussive guitar lines that I enjoyed on their latest album, so I'm satisfied. 

Bloody Sign - Chaos Echoes (2010)


Crypt-defiling blackened death metal from a very talented French band that sadly split up after releasing this album. Chaos Echoes features raw production, dissonant riffs, dirty vocals and there's a definite Incantation vibe going on. Good stuff. 

Defeated Sanity - Psalms of the Moribund (2007) 


I've never listened to Defeated Sanity before, but it's just what I expected: ultra-br00tal ball-crushing flesh-ripping guttural brutal death metal that's relentlessly punishing. Slamtastic!  

No comments:

Post a Comment