January 15, 2013

Rival Sons - Head Down (2012)



January is the time of the year when I try (and fail miserably) to put my new year's resolutions in practice, and when I slap myself out of desperation because I missed a good album release from the previous year. One such band is Rival Sons, who could've totally slipped my attention if not for chester's desperate attempts to make me write on the blog by posting random links of bands on my Facebook page. Damn it, man, just leave me alone, will you?

Sad fact is, these guys ain't newcomers. They've released 3 albums already and have acquired a pretty decent fanbase, making my enthusiastic copy-pasting procedures applied to my friends useless. There's really not much to say about them, except that they're an indie/blues band hailing from California and they perform... well, blues rock, with some modern touches, of course. I can't believe I'm living in an era where ''indie blues'' became common, almost bland, but nevertheless, Rival Sons music sounds familiar and I can't shake off that feeling no matter how hard I try. They're not bad, but they ain't rock'n'roll geniuses, either. If you enjoy straightforward blues-bashing solos and southern vocals, then this album is your cup of tea. I can't recommend their previous releases because I hadn't got the chance to listen to them, but I doubt they're too different from Head Down.

http://earache.bandcamp.com/album/head-down
http://www.facebook.com/rivalsons

No comments:

Post a Comment