December 22, 2012

Chester's Top 10 Most Highly Anticipated Albums of 2013

Following the list of my favorite album covers of 2012, I would like to continue the prelude to TZEEEAC's listmania with a list of the albums I'm most looking forward to hearing in 2013. It's already shaping up to be a great year for metal, so here's a look at some sweet stuff bound for release sometime during the following 12 months.

1. Arctic Monkeys - ????



First up, Sheffield pimply-faced-teenagers-turned-world-famous-rock-stars Arctic Monkeys are going to release the follow-up to 2011's Suck It and See. As drummer Matt Helders' mum confirmed via Tweeter, the lads are in the desert, recording their new album. Frontman Alex Turner said the band is going in a heavier direction with the new songs, so it'll be interesting to see what they understand by "heavy". It'll probably be fucking great, anyway.


2. Cynic - ????



One of my all-time favorite bands, Cynic is set to put out a new album in early 2013. Guitarist/vocalist Paul Masvidal spoke about the new album and the direction in which the band is going:


“It’s almost like, I don’t know how to explain it, but if I had to put it in a box it’s more sci-fi, futuristic and alien but at the same time very song driven. It’s kind of like, to me, coming into Cynic’s body more. It feels very modern and at the same time it just feels really cool. I’m big in the space. It’s definitely new. It’s not like anything we’ve done before. It’s a new colour, a new space. I think people will really take note of even the guitar stuff. I’m really shifting gears, I’m trying things in a different way and the way stuff is played. It’s a new space for Cynic for sure. It definitely sounds like us, except completely new.”

There is no way in hell I won't love whatever they come up with, so I'm definitely eager to listen to this one.

3. Darkthrone - The Underground Resistance




This right here is the cover for Darkthrone's new album, about which the band says it'll be more "epic", "basically just metal" and a "step away from the last album as usual". Sounds good to me. Bring it!


4. Ghost - Infestissumam



Ghost are also gearing up for the release of their sophomore album in Spring 2013. The band says they're going for a lavish, divine atmosphere, which I'm guessing probably means a whole lot of keyboards and eerie intros. Anyway, I'm excited about this. There's even a track listing, which goes as follows:


1. INFESTISSUMAM
2. PER ASPERA AD INFERI
3. SECULAR HAZE
4. JIGOLO HAR MEGIDDO
5. GHULEH / ZOMBIE QUEEN
6. YEAR ZERO
7. IDOLATRINE
8. BODY AND BLOOD
9. DEPTH OF SATAN’S EYES
10. MONSTRANCE CLOCK

5. Mac Lethal - ????




Mac Lethal is pretty much my favorite rapper right now and he's always posting shit about his forthcoming album on his Facebook page. It's always vague, ambiguous shit, but he swears it's going to be awesome and I believe him. I can't wait to see what's he going to come up with this time. In the meantime, he keeps making these fast rap videos about current issues, which is cool, I guess. I just wish he'd stop wearing those stupid glasses.

6. Scale the Summit - ????


Progressive instrumental metal outfit Scale the Summit have begun writing songs for an upcoming new album. Their last album, The Collective, was basically flawless, so I have high hopes for this. Not much else is known at this point, so fingers crossed it's going to turn out as good as I expect it will.

7. Suffocation - Pinnacle of Bedlam


Even if nothing works out for them in 2013, at least Suffocation's new album will have a kickass cover. The guys have released a new song which will be on Pinnacle of Bedlam, and I will hopefully manage to embed it below. 




8. Summoning - ????



The news came out of the blue: Tolkien loremasters Silenius and Protector, alias Summoning, have announced that they have finished writing a bunch of songs and are beginning the recording process for their new album, set to release next year via Napalm Death. I honestly thought these guys quit music forever and they'd never release anything ever again, so I am fucking STOKED about this. SUMMONING, EVERYONE! BACK AT IT!


9. Tumbleweed Dealer - ????



Up-and-coming Canadian stoner bros Tumbleweed Dealer have caught my attention with their debut 3-song EP Death Rides Southwards, which you can listen and download at Moshpit Tragedy. Now, the guys have begun working on a full-length album that will be fueled by beer and weed, so I'm confident that it will turn out to be great.


10. Void Forger - ????



Last up, Romanian crust/black/doom mongers Void Forger are probably (hopefully) going to release an EP or an album, sometime next year. This is the only new release in my Top 10 that's not been officially confirmed by anyone in the band, so I guess this last alphabetical entry is sort of wishful thinking. Until further updates, you would do well to take a peek around their Bandcamp page and listen to their demo. It'll take you places.


FURTHER UPDATE: Void Forger's drummer Volo has confirmed that they will indeed release a 7" EP next year. YA BOI!


So there you have it, folks, a brief look at the albums and bands I will be most excited about in 2013. I will probably be gushing with excitement over every one of these, so get ready for some top-grade fanboy posts. You have been warned.

1 comment:

  1. My oh my, .chester, take a look below and hear how Infesstisumam will sound like:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TN2GCjPh0Hw

    ReplyDelete